[Oeva-list] Ok.. which axe are you grinding? :-)

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Tue Apr 19 20:22:04 PDT 2011

> Since your on this list I assume you have an interest in electric vehicles.
> I was curious what is it you find interesting about them or do you have an
> application your considering?

Don,

I came to a few of the OEVA meetings and subscribed to the list because I'd
hoped to find a solution to my commute using an ICE.

I've got an engineering backgroud and an interest in the technology.

I'm still looking for a solution.. All of the "best efforts" so far fall short
of what I would be able to consider "reasonable". I need, on the order of
100 miles range, and reasonable climate control, with speeds up to 55 mph for
a short distance.. and a few good hills.

For me, I'd need for that to be predictable and reliable, and to maintain that
capability over a reasonable lifespan of the battery pack.. ie it can't
deteriorate more than about 10 percent.

I've had quite a bit of experience with various contructions of lead acid
batteries.. and lesser experience with other chemistries.

I realize that some of my posts may be a bit "contrarian".. but what I'm trying
to do is to bring out a bit more realistic attitude about just how good a
transportation solution the existing vehicles are.

I'm neither for nor against electric or ice vehicles.

I'm fairly well convinced that none of the existing fuel cell technologies
or the various methods of making hydrogen as a fuel for those fuel cells has
much of a chance. The economics just arn't there.

I do see a tendency on the list to two different things:

1) "The solution is the electric car", now what's the problem?

and

2) "Ignoring the true cost / benefit calculation".

Both of these things are characteristics of "fans" of some particular thing.

I personally believe that the hybrid vehicle, including the plug in hybrid
is likely to be the solution, that comes closest to meeting the average
drivers needs and abilities.

Unfortunately, the hybrid doesn't bode well for the all electric vehicles,
because it's "almost as green" and doesn't require new charging station
infrastructure.

If you siphon off 1/2 the likely consumers for electric vechicles into
hybrids, it cuts the demand and payback on the charging station econonomics.

At present there are a greater number of hybrids, a greater number of hybrid
manufacturers than there is all-electric.

If using hybrids can more than double our fleet miles per gallon average, then
demand and hence price of oil will stabilize, taking pressure off of the demand
do "do something else".

Since hybrids are "greenest" in city driving, it helps, where the problem of
pollution is worst.

I intend to keep watching developments in the "all electric" world.. but
I'm skeptical.

Steve