[Oeva-list] Are you a fan or a fanatic?

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Sat Apr 23 13:25:12 PDT 2011

On 4/23/11 12:03 PM, Steve's Account wrote:

> In one of the recent posts, someone suggested that there be a network
> of charging stations at 40 mile intervals, along major roads.. and while
> this will definately improve the liklyhood of success in any given
> transportation attempt, spending 2 hours every 40 miles, is a labor of
> love, not a transportation alternative.

Actually, it would be 1/2hr (at freeway speeds, 15-20 minutes at 55mph),
but yes, that is still burdensome for regular *long* long distance
travel.  But it's tolerable for occasional trips and shorter long, and a
lot of people don't really travel that often.  I drive a lot, and adding
a half hour to the trip to Portland really wouldn't be terrible...

In order to make EVs comparable to gas cars, we need 100kwh battery
packs with 400kw charging stations.  Considering we're at 24kwh/50kw
now, and how fast the technology is changing, it's not that big of a
leap.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that start showing up in 5 years,
especially if gas hits $6 like they were talking on the news last night.