[Oeva-list] Are you a fan or a fanatic?

John RA Benson jrab at e-m-w.com
Sat Apr 23 17:57:36 PDT 2011

Ok - I'll bite:

On Apr 23, 2011, at 9:03 PM, Steve's Account wrote:

> Electricity is cheap compared to gas per mile.. Some of that is due
> to the fact that you don't pay the true cost per KWh. Were there a
> carbon tax, and road tax, it would be a bit less economical.
>
> In addition, many of the generation facilities and transmission facilities
> have been paid for either by the government or by rate payers.

has there been any government subsidy larger than what the US does to protect "our national interests" than the billions we spend on wars to keep oil flowing? Sorry for breaking protocol and bringing up politics, but it's a fantasy to have any justification that we're still spending billions on the middle east "to bring freedom and democracy" while cutting school and social services at home. Those nuts holding up the budget in congress are pretending to be 'cost-cutters' and getting away with ranting about cutting 50 million or even a billion as if it's going to save the world, but nobody is making a real effort in slashing the multiple billions on the war machine. It's too late anyway. Bottom line is it's all an oil subsidy we're all paying to keep the little economy we have moving. How much would gas cost if we took those expenses and tagged it on at the pump? A heck of a lot more than "the true cost per KWh". You can bet the utilities include their tax bill when the calculate our bills.

And as evidenced by the round of emails on taxing the pathetically few ev's out there, we'll pay our fair share of road tax soon enough.

Happy to be a fan(atic) of ev's-
Cheers!
jrab