[Oeva-list] charging station for 110 charger

phil hochstetler phil.hochstetler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 09:06:18 PST 2011

A few charging stations (such as the Coulomb Chargers or Shorepower)
have level 1 outlets (20A 120V) as well as J1772.  So on those, you
can charge directly.  To use J1772 you have two problems.  First you
need to be able to connect successfully to the J1772 connector to get
the charger to turn on.  You can buy a J1772 standalone conversion box
which output to a 240v NEMA 14-50 plug.  (see
http://modularevpower.com/Sales_J1772_to_NEMA_14-50_Adapters.htm).
Cost can be as low at $190. Then you still need to convert the 240v to
120v at a high enough current to run your charger.  You need a step up
/ down transformer.  Look at $50 to $100 bucks for one that does 1500
watts or more (continuous rating).  Here are links to some products
that can do that:

http://goo.gl/GvZ1l
http://goo.gl/qsfHm
http://goo.gl/YeJEV

The costs are going to be $250 to $300.  But, this still may be
cheaper than selling your current charger, buying a new charger, and
converting it to support J1772 and does get you access to all the
J1772 chargers going up all around Portland.

Phil H.