[Oeva-list] First Leaf Wreck?

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Thu Dec 22 19:44:53 PST 2011

We have already completed several Leaf collision repairs.

It would be wise to make sure the collision shop is aware the battery  pack
in a Leaf and the Prius are not the same. Most collision  centers know
about as much as the general population concerning  EVs. Many are still clueless
about the differences between  an EV, a hybrid, or battery chemistries. The
battery pack and  EV related items are parts that collision shops do not
work on. No  collision shop is going to admit they don't really understand
electric vehicles.

So I highly recommend you tell the collision shop under  no conditions
should your Leaf ever be in the Paint booth using  the bake cycle. If a painter
is not aware or a painter's helper turns on  the bake cycle it could damage
the pack which would void your  battery warranty. See your owners manual
page EV-7.

It is absolutely critical that the Leaf is never exposed to the  bake cycle
in a paint booth. This is a everyday normal procedure  for a collision
shop. Most shops would assume since they have fixed a Prius  and baked them it
can be also done on a Leaf. This would be a huge  mistake and I am sure its
already happened somewhere. .

A warning for Prius owners. Many shops might not be turning down  the paint
booth temperature when they are refinishing a Prius. Depending on the  time
and temperature it may or may not cause damage to a Prius  pack. The NiMH
chemistry is durable but it will last longer if its not  exposed to elevated
temperatures.

The removal of the pack and other parts is recommended in the  Leaf owners
manual. But this can be avoided if a collision shop is  knowledgeable with
EVs. At West Hills we have the know how and  the equipment to do this work
without harming the battery pack. I can see the  logic of Nissan
recommendation since virtually all body shops are not known to  be very knowledgeable
with EVs or EV service work.

I have been in the collision repair industry for over 35 years so I know
the industry very well. Sadly I am not aware of any other collision  shop
owner or employee who knows much about EVs. To most people  in the collision
industry EVs have been something to joke about  or put down. So its going to
be interesting to see how our  industry adjusts to EV repairs.

While its not common A few collision shops have free  ICE loaner cars. West
Hills Collision has ICE vehicles but  we also have the Prius and Leaf for
free loaners. You can  drive our car for free when we perform the collision
repairs  if you don't have any rental coverage. Full coverage on our vehicle
is required.

If you ever in the Southwest Portland area and getting low on a  charge.
Don't forget we have a charging station at West Hills open to  the public
24/7. Right next to the charging station there is a 120 plug. There  is no
charge for parking or the electric and all EVs are welcome.

_www.westhillscollision.com_ (http://www.westhillscollision.com)

West Hills Collision Center
Don Blazer.

In a message dated 12/21/2011 10:40:21 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,