[Oeva-list] Level 1 vs Level 2 "battles"

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Tue Dec 27 22:28:04 PST 2011

Scott Hippe  wrote:
> I don't think Leaf owners are against level 1
> Availability. It is so easy to provide a 120v
> outlet on the pedestal of a level 2 charger.
> And the level 1 vehicle doesn't even have to
> occupy that space, he/she could be parked
> 25 or more feet away with an extension cord.
> It must be pure greed of the charging
> station owner/operator not to provide a free
> 120 v outlet for the occasional level 1 user.

Actually, it may be that very 120 v. outlet that is the death
knell for the Level I charging stations. Since it is such a
common interface, it may be being abused by folks who want power for
things other than EV charging.

It may also be the case that the charing station owners see that they
can have several level 2 customers frequent their business because
the charging cycles are shorter, with the same investment in parking
space and infrastructure that a level 1 customer will use for an
entire day.

Given a choice between several happy Leaf owners or one happy Level 1
owner, I'd opt for the Level 2. And it doesn't have the abuse potential
of a 110v outlet.

Suggesting a change to a not-common plug with interaction between the
charger and the outlet as a new "standard" for level 1 charging might be
a way to keep the level 1 stuff in place. But it still doesn't address
the guy who drops his car off in the morning at the "fred myers" (or
any other charging site) and goes off to work, blocking access to the
customers of the company who provided the charging station.

In some locations, parking spaces are the limiting factor in how many
customers you can get thru a retail establishment. And you can be
"just as green" by encouraging lots of customers, as catering to
one.

Steve