[Oeva-list] J1772 to NEMA 5-20R Converter?

chris at darkstarpro.com chris at darkstarpro.com
Wed Dec 28 11:49:36 PST 2011

With the recent discussions on  NEMA 5-20 outlets being replaced with
J1772 charging stations, I'm wondering what might work to keep those 120
volt EVs charging?

We can't do 120 volts between one of the hot legs and ground because that
will trip the GFCI (for good reason), so a transformer of some sort needs
to be used.

Would something like a 240 volt to 120 volt transformer work? I came
across the Acme T-2-53063 (3 kVA) for industrial applications
(http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/products/Transformers/AT1104.html).

If something like that would work, vehicles could probably get converted
over for about $500 with the J1772 inlet and control board.

Sincerely,
Chris Arnesen