[Oeva-list] Update on HB2328

Lawrence Winiarski lawrence_winiarski at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 00:04:44 PDT 2011

I expect the OBD connector already has the odometer reading.   You can
already buy devices that read it and get all sorts of info (gas usage, speed,
timing, etc, and all sorts of sensor failure stuff (Throttle position sensor, Oxygen
sensor..etc)   So this is a reasonable way to get the reading....but then if that
is all you want, it's pretty damn easy to just LOOK at the stupid odometer and
write it down, and it's a whole lot simpler.   And you don't need the whole
crazy wireless transfer too.      But then they couldn't use it to track our
way down the roads and bridges of oregon's highways....which I believe is
why they really want the wireless stuff.

A special trip to the DMV pretty much screws up my charge for the day.
(34 mile round trip)   Seems especially mean-spirited to try and force electric car
drivers to make a special trip as it completely screws up their day.   And what
about people who can't get off work?   Make potentially thousands of people
do a special trip every 90  days because someone at ODOT "wants" to be able to
track people someday?   So a guy making $20/hour needs to take off time from
work to drive thru the DMV so he can pay a $20 tax?

It's just mean.

The $300 annual fee is basically a "F... You" to people who don't want it.

Why not offer an odometer reading in lieu of the $300?   It certainly wouldn't
be much harder as you could do it at the same time.

 Answer...because it  makes a complete mockery of the whole ridiculous idea.

They don't want a simple odometer reading because...well it's just TOO simple..

and they wouldn't get to be in charge of some massive project.   (likely some of

them might get laid off due to budget shortfalls)

Again...why bother with all this?   If all you  want is mileage

I'm UTTERLY convinced that ODOT is NOT being honest about their true intentions
and that in itself ought to be reason enough to kick them out on their ears.

So again, I can't stress this enough,  This is NOT ABOUT RAISING MONEY FOR
 ROADS FOR EV's  because it is ridiculously complicated and will cost MILLIONS to implement.    I believe it is something totally different.

I don't like it.   Although this will sound dramatic, I think basically the group within
ODOT is more concerned with justifying their existence rather than doing what is
good for the rest of the state and the public.    They want a kingdom that "they"
can easily control and raise and lower tax at will without any sort of "legislative interference".    Right now, if they want to change the tax rate, they need to
get that info out to thousands of gas stations and the pumps reprogrammed.
Now with this new system they will be able to change the tax within minutes.
And their express issue is to make it even more complicated, with rate by times
of day, and certain roads and using the device to transmit to a roadside device
whenever the car passes by.  So they can have an even more complicated tax
structure.    And do you think when they are setting the tax road by road, bridge
by bridge with their little wireless tell tales advertising where you go,
 that the legislature is gonna have any control whatsoever?

So the side result of their plan is that they are gonna have a virtual kingdom
that they can set any tax they want.   And they don't even have to run for reelection.

And so...when money gets tight...do you think they are gonna try and cut the budgets
or benefits or implement layoffs like any other government agency.

...."Yeah right...".     .

In fact one of the stupid reasons for this tax is that we are in a recession and
people can't afford to drive as much....So what's governments answer?  Oh
lets tax the poor guys MORE, so we don't have to suffer too.

I also believe that their "partners" stand to make a big chunk of change off this
too.   I find it especially telling that CH2M testified in favor of the bill and didn't
divulge to the legislature that they were already doing consulting for ODOT for this
very purpose...smell like corruption to me.

And why the hell are we even voting on a bill for a device that hasn't
even been made yet?    It's a virtual blank check.

I can't see anything good out of this bill.   It's dishonest about it's true intentions,
fiscally irresponsible, and you can accomplish the same thing they claim they
want to do about a thousand times easier just by reading the odometer
and writing it down every time you want a renew your license.

AND we shouldn't be taxing EV's anyway until we get about 1000 times more
than we currently have anyway...It's gonna affect road tax income by less than 10%
over the next decade until we get there.   And these EV's are gonna affect the
road even less than the gas guzzlers they replace.    And being as they just
raised the tax 25% in January to 30 cents/mile, you'd think they wouldn't
be so damn worried about revenue anyway.

...I hope to god our legislature has enough common sense to vote it down.

If we don't halt population growth with justice and compassion, it will be done for us by nature, brutally and without pity - and will leave a ravaged world.

Nobel Laureate Dr. Henry W. Kendall 023934