[Oeva-list] Update on HB2328

Chris Arnesen chris at darkstarpro.com
Wed May 4 06:13:12 PDT 2011

The biggest issue is that they still aren't considering any other
factors when attempting to calculate this vehicle mileage tax. My LEAF
still gets a 99 MPGe. At $0.0085 per mile, that's the eqivilant of
paying a fuel tax of $0.84 per gallon, way higher than the $0.31 per
gallon every other vehicle pays (2.7 times). They really need to utilize
the MPG (MPGe), weight class, and odometer mileage of the vehicle to
determine the VMT an owner needs to pay.

Also, just to let everyone know, their intent won't be to use the OBD
port since that can be unplugged for diagnostic purposes. However since
all new vehicles starting in 2008 are required to use CAN BUS for OBD it
wouldn't be hard to tap into the vehicle network at another point.

Sincerely,
Chris Arnesen