[Oeva-list] Fwd: Update on HB2328

Scott Hippe scott.hippe at me.com
Wed May 4 06:26:50 PDT 2011

In my opinion, EV fuel is the battery + electricity.  The battery is "prepaid fuel".  For a Leaf, if you assume battery cost is $10,000.00 and you expect
100,000 miles on a battery, your total fuel cost over 100,000 miles is $10,000.00 + $2,000 (electricity).   That works out to $.12/mile.  If you treat
your battery well, and your battery lasts more than 100,000 miles, well thats just an additional benefit.  We also assume that when it is time to
replace the battery (essentially prepay more fuel), the battery cost will be much lower due to technology and mass production.

To compare an ICE, 30 mpg * $4.00/gallon = $.12/mile as well.  But it is easy to assume that over the next 8 years that the price of gas will increase.
Also there are all kinds of social costs produced by the ICE during the 100,000 miles that are not accounted for.  And the 3333 gallons of gas that the
ICE uses over 100,000 miles required a significant amount of electricity to produce and deliver which is of course also hidden from view.

Scott

Begin forwarded message: