[Oeva-list] Update on HB2328

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Wed May 4 22:57:49 PDT 2011

Hello Scott

I disagree about including the batteries as part of the fuel cost for these
 reasons.

One an ICE motor or transmission can fail at 100,000 or 150,000. I have had
 to replace transmissions at 50,000 miles and even one motor. This is out
of  small fleet of ICE vehicles and they always seem to last at least until
the  warranty is up.

An EV AC traction motor is good for about one million miles. The gear
reduction is a sealed unit and will not fail for a very long time. So the EV
drive would save you the cost of replacing motors at 200,000 miles.

Yes the replacement cost of the pack is expensive but it is about the cost
of the 5 engines you don't have to buy for one million EV miles. Even
after one million miles your only service work would be to replace two bearings.
 This would be far less costly then any ICE rebuild. Even if you had to
replace  the whole AC drive and gear reduction unit the cost would be a bargain
compared  to an ICE motor. As an example the drive pod for an S-10 EV which
includes the  motor was brand new in the box 1500 dollars list price from
GM.  They sold out several years ago.  I suspect a few EV guys figured  out
what a bargain that was for an EV project.

Also I would not be surprised if the batteries last 150,000 to 200,000
miles if not abused. They would be useable for even longer if you can get  by
with less range. Right now I am driving an S-10 with 12 year old NiMH
batteries. Range is about 50 miles but they just refuse to die as long as you
treat them kindly. The RAV4 EV under the right conditions using the same
chemistry is good for 150,000 miles. The Leaf should far exceed the cycle life
of these older NiMH modules.

I do agree that pack costs will come down. Also it is most likely that by
the time a replacement pack is needed battery technology is going to be
greatly  improved.

Not sure if this changes your point of view but some things you might
consider.

Don

In a message dated 5/4/2011 6:30:50 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,