[Oeva-list] Update on HB2328

Myles Twete matwete at comcast.net
Thu May 5 16:02:15 PDT 2011

Gary G. offered: "I believe that the battery is more like an
engine/transmission than fuel. There are some differences, to be sure: the
battery will lose capacity and power simply by sitting, whereas an stored
engine does not."

That's a very interesting perspective Gary, and I read your whole post but
don't see you explaining how you came to view batteries as anything close to
an engine or a transmission or both.  Sure, a battery, like an engine is an
energy conversion device, I buy that.  As for a transmission being an analog
of something on an EV, I'd expect the more traditional comparison is to the
speed controller, not to the battery.  Analogies work best if they're not
too abstract or too far out.  Is yours apt?  At first, the fuel tank as an
energy storage medium seems much closer an apt analogy for a battery than
does an engine.  But now that I think seriously about this, there's more to
the picture.  Let's expand on this.

To start:

.         Engines convert energy from one form to another and in doing so
have conversion efficiencies that cause waste heat to result.  A battery
converts energy as well, storing energy in chemical form, but accepting and
delivering the energy electrically.  And the battery heats up during the
process.  A fuel tank does none of this---delivers fuel and doesn't heat up
in the process.

.         Your turn.

-Myles