[Oeva-list] over discharged lithium pack

Ron Jayasuriya evmail4ron at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 11:15:03 PDT 2011

I have a customer who accidentally left his car on and ran his 400V Kokum battery pack too low, and his charger won't try to charge them now.

AC Propulsion kit, probably proprietary charger, do not have any specs.
Car has BMS and balancing, so we will probably be ok once we get them charged up somehow.

Ideas?

I was thinking that if there were a Rudman PFC 20 out there somewhere I might be able to use it to give the pack little boost using the adjustable voltage/current feature of that charger.  Not sure for certain, but I think I should be able to monitor the batteries for voltage AND heat during the process.

Does this sound reasonable?  Dangerous in any way?  I don't think so, but it's worth asking.
Anyone with some experience with over-discharged lithium batteries, or a PFC-20 they'd let me use, feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

Ron