[Oeva-list] Watts up?

D K dimakukushkin at gmail.com
Mon May 9 13:18:00 PDT 2011

Steve, you lost your bet.  Here is what I got from "Jason" on the Blink
support line.  It's MORE power than I expected!

A working unit when it is just sitting doing nothing the unit pulls about
0.2 amp at 245.7 volts AC.
Power is V X I = 245.7 Volts AC x 0.2 Amps AC = 49.14 Watts.
Multiply 49.14 Watts by 24 hours and divide by 1000 =  1.17936
Next Multiply 1.17936 by hourly rate for example (15 cents per kW) =
0.176904 cents per day
Last multiple by 365 days a year by 0.176904 to get $64.57 a year to have
blink connected and sitting in garage or roughly $5.38 a month.

But "Jason" said they are workign on screensaver, but not sure how much will
it decrease idle power.
In my context - I have 2 rooms and kitchen on first floor, all wtih CFL
bulbs totalling 150w appr. Being used 6 hours a day - it's 37Wh per day!  So
my idling Blink dock-station sucks more power than my first floor lighting.

It it 1.17 KWh per day!!!  What a waste.

I'm definitely shutting it off for longer no-use periods, like weekend
vacations.  It surely off now, since I'm not getting my leaf for another
couple weeks.

$5.38/mo extra just to have fancy extension cord..... called EVSE.

140 wasted electric miles per month.

I really hope they will design good screensaver soon.
Dmitry

ps  I'd like to verify this by using 110v Watts-up meter, can figure out
what happens if I put it on one phase and ground.  Any advice here?