[Oeva-list] Watts up?

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Mon May 9 19:24:11 PDT 2011

On Mon, 9 May 2011, D K wrote:

> Steve, you lost your bet.  Here is what I got from "Jason" on the Blink
> support line.  It's MORE power than I expected!

And vastly more power than it should be.. Sombody needs to do a careful look at
the design..

(In fact, in standby, I don't think it would meet EPA's Energy Star
requirements.!)

What a shame for an alternate energy company to be such a watt hog.

Steve

P.S. was he quoting name plate rating or was it actually measured?

P.P.S You won't be able to use a 110 volt version of a tester to test
your charger.. but a clamp on amp meter, as another poster suggested is
your best bet.

<http://amprobe.com/cgi-bin/pdc/viewprod.cgi?pid=2356&tid=1&type=elec>

This is a gadget which will give you a 10x improvement in sensitivity
of your clamp on meter. (It's basically a 10 to 1 transformer built
in to the adaptor.) You put the adaptor between the wall socket and
the plug, Put the clamp on meter thru the hole and measure the current.
One hole is 1x the other is 10x.