[Oeva-list] ice equivalence

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Wed May 11 19:02:56 PDT 2011

I've been thinking about the cross country limitations of EVs and what
it would take to have ICE equivalence.  With the Leaf at 24kwh and a
50kw charging station taking 1/2hr to fill 70% (20->90), and that
getting you about 50 miles at freeway speeds, I'm thinking it would take
a 75kwh pack and a 300kw charging station to give minimum ICE
equivalence.  That would give you 150 freeway miles and a 15 minute
recharge --- only slightly worse than a typical car (and virtually the
same as my old 64 chevy pickup).

I think battery technology will be there in 5-10 years, and I'm curious
what the issues are in going from 50kw to 300kw --- that's nearly 1KA at
400V.  I think you could manage the current in the car by splitting the
pack and charging sections in parallel, so only a very small part needs
to actually handle that much concentrated power.  But there tend to be
knees where issues and the related costs take big jumps, and I'm
wondering where those would be here...