[Oeva-list] Insurance??

The Donovans r_donovans at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 23:26:20 PDT 2011

Hi Bruce,

My experience is State Farm won't insure your conversion. My MGB was insured for
20+ years as a gasoline car through State Farm with no claims or late premiums
during that time. When I converted it to electric, State Farm refused because it
had been "modified by an unrecognized business" (i.e., me). Frankly I could not
believe it. Certainly they would make some kind of exception considering my
long-time record with them - NOT. They would not even inspect the work. I asked
my agent if she really thinks an electric vehicle is more of a risk than
insuring my kids when they were teenagers? It is essentially the same car but
with an electric motor. Wasn't looking for any special insurance on the car. She
said they were sorry but would not insure it.

I went down the street to Farmers Insurance and told them of my dilemma. The
Farmers agent said they'd be happy to insure it as long as it was not converted
to an amphibious vehicle. I said it is not amphibious unless I take a wrong turn
on a lake front road. :)

Needless to say, not only did State Farm lose my electric vehicle, I pulled my
homeowner, vacation property, another vehicle, and travel trailer insurance from
State Farm to Farmers. Plus, I saved money on my premiums with Farmers too.

My impression is most insurance companies will work with you when you have a
conversion. State Farm is the one exception I'm aware of. Still a little mad
about it. State Farm was glad to take my money for all those years. Guess I'm
glad I discovered this prior to having any claims.

My recommendation, whatever insurance company you go with, make sure they are
fully aware of your conversion on the vehicle. You should not have a problem
insuring your conversion unless you want State Farm and only State Farm.

Richard Donovan