[Oeva-list] Fwd: Oregonian article

Scott Hippe scott.hippe at me.com
Fri May 20 13:16:43 PDT 2011

The public charging station issue is a red herring.  The most important factor in the success of the EV is (besides good EVs)
is a charging station at your home or office.  ECOtality has focused on getting these stations in first ( over 1000 so far ).

I have had my Leaf for two months and drive about 1000 miles per month, yet I have only used a public charger twice and that
was for fun, not really a necessity.  I am in that prime demographic of a person who drives nearly every day but less than 50 miles
per day.  The Leaf is always home at night for a charge.

Those 50 miles per day add up to big numbers and I feel I am doing my part of reducing our monthly payments of $42.5 Billon to
foreign countries for oil.

We need to focus on what works now.  If you need to depend on a public charger, then you may not be a good EV candidate right
now.  But don't scare off the very large number of people who only need a home charger.

As public chargers roll out, EVs will have greater appeal, but for a long time 99% of the charging will occur at home or the
office where the EV tends to be parked for many hours.

Scott

Begin forwarded message: