[Oeva-list] John Day or Bust....

Ray Blackburn oeva_treas at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 10:59:32 PDT 2011

Hi OEVA members,

The time has come to try and get a head count of who may be making the trip to
John Day this year for the annual Solwest Energy Fair.  It is
approximately a three day fair held in John Day, OR.  There are many great
classes held on solar power, gardening, biodiesel, etc...  Their are motels
available and a camping area.

I must inform the Leaf owners and others who want to attempt this that there
will only be 240 volt 30 amp 14 - 50P connections for charging. You will need to
buy the adaptor or portable charging station to adapt from 14-50P to J1772, I
believe there is a hack for the Leaf to use 240 volts through the 110 cord as
well, but am not sure on this.   http://www.tucsonev.com/  There are no J1772
connections for charging that I am aware of once you head east on I-84 out of
Portland.  We will have charging points at Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Condon and
Dayville.  If you can not make your Leaf go 70 miles after leaving I-84 you
should not attempt this trip.  Know your vehicle capabilities before you go on a
road trip.  I know I could make a Leaf go 70 miles on a hot day on a windy back
hwy like hwy 97 but I will not be driving your cars.  We may still yet have
charging in Wasco and Spray but don't count on it.  Please contact me if you
plan on this adventure.  I went last year with the EV Yaris and had a great
time.  Ray Blackburn,  OEVA_treas at yahoo.com

Jennifer Barker, who heads up the Fair does a great job of explaining below why
we are doing this and has done wonders to help get charging places in the
communities from The Dalles to John Day.

John Day or Bust
The Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (OEVA) puts out a call to action for all
EV enthusiasts who support this vision: that replacing internal combustion
engines (ICE, now powering America’s fleet of personal vehicles) with electric
drive systems is the quickest and cheapest path to breaking our addiction to
oil, cleaning up our air and stopping the flow of our dollars to OPEC. The goal
is to promote the widespread adoption of the EV as a vehicle of utility and
adventure as well as being good for the environment.
Electric Vehicle owners and enthusiasts from all over the West will be heading
to John Day and SolWest Fair the last weekend of July. Let’s take a lesson from
the history of the early days of the auto. Individuals and groups were
constantly setting out on daunting trips across vast regions with
poor-to-terrible roads, no gas stations and no repair shops. They did it and
sold a nation on the ICE.
Why John Day?
John Day is a little town in the middle of the eastern Oregon desert and
mountains, settled in the late 1800’s by gold miners, ranchers, loggers, and
timber workers. In other words, they were hardy pioneer stock, and their spirit
still dominates the town. It’s a perfect setting for the pioneers of the EV age.
If you can drive an EV to John Day, you can drive an EV just about anywhere.

John Day or Bust is a collaboration between the Oregon Electric Vehicle
Association, SolWest Fair, and the Green Living Journal. www.oeva.org

http://www.solwest.org/fair.htm

 Ray Blackburn OEVA Treasurer.