[Oeva-list] Fwd: Fwd: target market

Scott Hippe scott.hippe at me.com
Sat May 21 14:05:42 PDT 2011

Just to clarify, I support public transportation and have 50 years experience using it.  I believe my statement
was less a generalization than your statement "Unfortunately, the area covered by their usage patterns is also the area best covered by public transit."  In Portland and most cities, public transportation works for people if they either live or work near a hub.
Otherwise, multiple transfers increases the travel time beyond acceptability.  As you get into the suburbs, buses may only
come once an hour if that, and may still require a walk of a mile or more afterward.  Beyond the daily commuting, public
transportation fails for the short hop needs, stopping off at the bank, going to a restaurant during lunch, etc ( except for
cities with large grid solutions like NYC.  I will never consider taxis as public transportation until they are all electric).

So more importantly, no solution works for everyone and we always need to keep an open mind about maintaining a mix of options
instead of insisting on just one.  I especially love trains and trolleys because they are all electric.  Driving an EV to a
'park and ride' would be an excellent solution for some who are far from a hub.

This country actually had much better public transportation from 1900 to 1950 than it does now.  After 1950, we started to put
'all of our eggs in one basket' by building freeways and single owner ICE vehicles.  The personal EV is only one of many
transportation options available to us now.  Most Americans want to see solutions to climate change and oil dependence, but only
if it does not inconvenience them too much.  So there will not ever be a 'one size fits all' solution.

There is no question that now that I am an EV owner, I talk very enthusiastically about it.  But in reality, I support all
technologies that will reduce our usage of fossil fuels for transportation.

Scott

Begin forwarded message: