[Oeva-list] Fwd: Oregonian article

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Sat May 21 17:25:11 PDT 2011

I totally agree with Scott and Tracy.

I know there are many other EV drivers on this list that have been  driving
all electric for years without having 100 miles of range or access to
public charging stations. So driving electric has already been proven to  meet
many drivers local driving needs.

I know the following sentence sounds absurdly simple but it has  allowed me
to rack up over 70,000 EV miles with only 50 miles of range and  without
pubic charging stations. Range only becomes an issue when you  either exceed
your known range or increase your load with driving  habits or conditions
that reduce your range. With good driving habits you  can even increase your
range when you know your going to be pushing it.

If you increase weight (added persons or luggage) or speed (65 or 70)
maintaining this speed on hills such as on a freeway and use the A/C your range
is going to be vastly reduced. This does not take into account if you are
driving into a head wind. Even if it is only a ten mile an hour wind that
makes  your 65 mile an hour  load that is equal to driving 75 miles an hour.
You  could easily take the 90 or 100 mile range of the Leaf and lower it to
around  65 under the worst driving conditions.

Since the Leaf is now being driven by a vast range of drivers including
some who have never owned an EV. There is going to be an adjustment to having
the 33.4 kW of energy of a gallon of gas verses the 24 kW of stored energy
in  the Leaf. The Leaf has less then the equivalent of 3/4 of a gallon of
gas. The Nissan Leaf is the most advanced electric vehicle for  the least
amount of money that has ever been available.

The Leaf is incredibly efficient charging at less then 30 cents an hour
provides roughly 12 to 15 miles of range under normal driving  conditions.
Which is about 2 cents a mile to 2.5 cents a mile. Now  that gas is close to 4
dollars a gallon 2.5 cents a mile is equal  to 160 miles to the gallon.

The Leaf could have been made with more range at a greater cost. It would
also need to be larger and weigh more. The average driver drives less then
40  miles a day the Leaf far exceeds this range even under the very worst
conditions. Nissan did it right by keeping the cost down and still has more
range then most drivers need. Regardless of how many miles an EV can  go on
one charge it will never be enough for everyone. It would have made the  Leaf
a much more expensive vehicle and it would also not be as efficient.

Yes if there was charging stations everywhere it would be nice but for many
 with even 50 miles of range it will never be needed. Fast charging
stations  would have a greater impact for longer trips. Standard 240 charging works
 well if the vehicle is going to be parked for an extended amount of time.
Most of the time vehicles are parked even during the day. Its a difficult
concept for many ICE drivers but if your not driving your vehicle is doing
nothing anyway.

Don

In a message dated 5/21/2011 10:59:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,