[Oeva-list] Motorcycle EV

Ken Potter ken at fivestarguitars.com
Sat May 21 20:09:18 PDT 2011

Greetings All,

I'm looking to sell a motorcycle that I converted from a Yamaha 650 to an
EV.  Some of you have seen it at the meetings.  It is ideal for a short
commute.  Call my cell: 503-729-9540.  Asking $1,950.00

*Specifications & Details*

* *

The original donor vehicle was a 1982(?) Yamaha XS-1 650 Special

*Motor:*  Mars Electric, LLC model ME0708, also known as the ETEK-R

This ME0708 is a Brush-Type, Permanent Magnet DC motor. Capable of 4.8 KW
continuous and 15 KW for 1 minute. For voltages from 12 to 48 VDC input and
100 amps continuous (300 amps for 1 minute). Designed to be an Etek motor
replacement. Motor weight: 30 pounds.  SEE:  marselectricllc.com  (About
$450)

*Controller:*  Alltrax AXE 7234 model 24-72 Volt DC controller for series
wound motors.  60-minute rating is 125Amps, 5-minute rating is 200Amps,
1-minute rating is 300Amps.  Current limit is 300 Amps. (About $450)

*Contactor: * White Rogers 12-4T Heavy duty, single pole, single throw,
normally open contactor. Water and dust resistant seal. Four terminal,
silver contacts.  A pre-charge resistor and a contactor coil suppression
diode are used to keep the system reliable.  *Optional:*  An extra switch
was added to open the pre-charge resistor circuit to prevent the small drain
of current when the vehicle is not in use.  The circuit is closed prior to
operation. (About $55)

*Batteries:*  Currently fitted with six Universal 12V 50 Amp-hour Absorption
Glass Mat (AGM) Batteries.  One battery powers the contactor, the lights and
the horn.  The other five batteries are wired in series to produce 60 Volts,
and are connected directly to the controller and the motor.

*Throttle:*  Magura 0-5K ohm twist-grip.  (About $50)

*Motor mounting:*  Custom rigid steel 90-degree bracket, machined by Howard
Barney of Portland and welded by Bill Leppo of Hillsboro.