[Oeva-list] Today's Leaf Trip

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Sun May 22 12:18:43 PDT 2011

On 5/22/11 10:00 AM, patrick0101 at gmail.com wrote:

> I was out laaaate Friday night in the Leaf. Then my wife got up early
> Saturday and took off in it. It was only about 80% charged (reporting 98
> miles) when she left.

That raises another point I've been thinking about: one of the problems
with *not* plugging in all the time is that you have to plan longer than
normal trips ahead of time.  At the moment, an EV owner needs to
consider the average range to be 25% (you don't want to plan to turtle
it) to 75% (if you plug in at 50%, on average it will be 75% full,
though I suspect it will normally either be full or 2/3rd full), or
about half of the "full-to-turtle" range, which will be 1/4 the quoted
range if you're doing it at highway speeds, which a lot of metro driving
is.  Granted, if it's 2/3rds full, you only need to plan ahead a couple
hours, but it's something you need to think about you wouldn't have with
a gas car.

The outlet mall *would* be a very good place to have an L2 put in, and I
think I could just make it at 65, no heat...  Of course, that would be a
dangerous place to have several hours to kill ;-)