[Oeva-list] Another anti-EV article

Karl Boekelheide oeva at boekelheide.com
Fri Apr 6 09:13:17 PDT 2012

Indeed.  The idea that someone would willingly choose to pay more for a
vehicle that doesn't contribute to all sorts of bad things in this world
is just beyond some people.   Many think the only reason to buy an EV or
hybrid is to see how fast you can make it "pay" for itself.  For them
the answer should be obious - buy a Geo Metro.  I don't hear any
arguments from these same people about how much it costs to own a Hummer
or Mercedes.  Somehow paying $60,000 for a "luxury" car is ok because
you're being a good consumer and shipping lots of money to Germany and
Canada (where most of our oil comes from.)  But shipping money to Japan
(soon Tennessee) and The Dalles is bad.

One thing I suspect will be true is that lots of people who frown on
EV's now will be most vociferous in 10 year about how smart they are to
not be driving a stinky gas burner anymore.  Few will say, "Why did I
wait so long?"