[Oeva-list] Honda Fit EV in Oregon

patrick0101 at gmail.com patrick0101 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 13:55:33 PDT 2012

I few people asked me in direct emails what I thought, so I thought I'd
respond to the list.

First, it is good to see more options. All the EVs that are coming out now
have a different features & price points, it is great to have options.

The things I liked:

   - It is peppy, it has 3 drive modes: sport, normal, eco. I would have
   liked to take it out on the road to try each. In sport mode it is as fast
   or faster than the Leaf off the line.
   - 118 MPGe: Since it has 118 MPGe, I would have liked to see some
   miles/kWh (or watt-hours per mile) data, but it was not obvious where to
   get this data; I know the Fit EV can display it. The sales guy was not much
   help here. I think it would be easy to get better than 5 miles/kWh if you
   tried.
   - I really liked the key fob, it had an SOC meter display. That is
   really cool. It was using some wireless method to communicate to the car,
   again the sales guy didn't know if it was Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, DECT, or magic.
   So I am not sure what the range was.
   - The lease price includes insurance. (more on lease below)

Things I didn't like: (note as a Leaf owner, I am biased and the Leaf will
be my comparison point)

   - It does not have CHAdeMO - Living here on the West Coast Electric
   Highway, I consider this a requirement for any BEV (even a Tesla Model S).
   I asked the sales guy about Fast Charging and he said "It supports fast
   charging. It comes with a trickle charger and you can buy a fast charger
   for your garage." He obviously has Level 2 confused with DCFC, I tried to
   explain the difference, I don't think he got it.
   - EVSE Locator - Just like in the Ford Focus EV, EVSE locating seems to
   be an afterthought in the navigation package. I want 1 button access to a
   map of nearby EVSE locations. Instead the Nav system shows you Honda and
   Acura dealership locations. Ironically, the EVSEs at the Kohl's just down
   the street from the dealership were not listed.
   - The displays are low end. Here it is in the same category as the
   iMiEV. The Leaf is better and, of course, the 17" multi-touch screen in the
   Model S is even better. Te Fit EV feels too low res and/or analog for my
   taste.
   - Lease only - So after 3 years, if I LOVE this car, I have to give it
   back. No thanks. I must have the option to buy. Ironically, I think leasing
   is not a bad idea for this generation of EVs since innovations are coming
   quickly, but I don't want my hand forced in that direction.

Final summary: It is a nice EV. If you don't need CHAdeMO and don't mind
leasing, this could be the EV for you. As with all the EVs of this
generation, there are things that the automakers are figuring out and there
is room for improvement.

Regards,
Pat
Sunlight will never cost $4/gallon