[Oeva-list] Not EV Friendly apts.

Quinn Sullivan qsullivan11 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:38:26 PDT 2012

Hello All,

So I am moving from Milwaukie to Portland this month and I need a place to
plug in my converted electric vehicle.  I looked at a place and asked if I
could pay to have an outlet installed by a licensed electrician, and either
have the outlet tied to my meter or pay a flat rate every month.  For the
last year my current apartment management allowed the latter and it worked
great.  She said she'd have to ask her management (American Property
Management) and they said no, no explanation given.  This is disappointing,
and kind of surprising that they would not work with me at all because this
issue is not going to go away.  It seems American Properties is the largest
apartment manager in the Portland area.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to proceed?  I would like to contact
American Property Management, even if it is probably a lost cause.  But I
still need a place to live so I want to be civil about it.  If Walmart has
EV charging stations it seems odd that one can't get just any kind of plug
at the place they live, even if it's 120V.  It's near Powell and 28th, EV 4
Oregon and Hopworks both have J1772 charging stations within walking
distance, but I don't know how everyone will like me parking there several
times a week.  Perhaps there's someone in the neighborhood that would be
willing to strike a deal with me to make a little extra money, just for
letting me charge there.  Any other ideas and suggestions are greatly
encouraged.

Best Regards,
Fellow EV Owner Quinn Sullivan