[Oeva-list] Not EV Friendly apts.

Philip N Barnhart phil at barnhart.us
Sun Aug 12 18:05:15 PDT 2012

Quinn raises an issue that will become much bigger as EVs become more
numerous. Multifamily housing facilities (Apartments, Condos and the like)
have mostly not started addressing this issue. Everyone has a parking space
but no easy way to get power to it for recharging. Some electric power
companies are helping out in small ways, but we need to do more.

A couple of ideas occur to me:

 As new places are built there might be a requirement for some charging
stations and easy ways to add more later. Perhaps there should be a default
way to pay for the power used. As I am learning, retrofitting can be quite
expensive.

I wonder if someone could be enticed to set up a web site or data base with
info about where the management innovators are or rather the apartments
they run. It would provide good info for someone like Quinn and perhaps
keep those units rented a bit more- a benefit for the owner. Anyone who has
information could contribute.

Bill proposals for the next session of the Oregon Legislature are due in
mid-September. I would love a few more (and better) ideas. After all, the
best way to keep your car charged is to do it overnight at your home.

Thoughts?

Phil Barnhart
State Representative (and soon to be an EV owner)
Central Lane and Linn Counties