[Oeva-list] Problems Charging Think at 120V

Paul Wallace ianaudio at aracnet.com
Tue Aug 14 06:57:55 PDT 2012

Interesting problem.  The DC/DC converter is shut down, probably for safety reasons, and never turned on when the house battery voltage gets low.  The gen2 Prius has the same problem if you leave a smart key near it.  The on board computers are kept running in anticipation of you climbing in and starting the car.  This will drain the 12v battery very quickly.  I leave the DC/DC running in my truck all the time.  This is a compromise as I would like to shut down all the high voltage from the pack box to the engine bay when the key is off, but there are enough parasitic loads on the 12v system that would kill the battery if I didn't do this, like the level 2 pilot circuit and the emeter.

Paul Wallace