[Oeva-list] Leafing it to Bend (almost)

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Sun Aug 19 17:34:46 PDT 2012

On 8/19/12 5:01 PM, Gary Graunke wrote:

> Interesting that the short cut from Blue River to Sisters was available--you
> can drive slower as well as less miles.

I don't think the "slower" part has much impact because you end up
slowing down for the 15-20mph curves then speeding back up, which
cancels out any benefit.  It's mainly shorter.  Oddly, it wasn't
intentionally a shortcut - it's just the way all the nav systems routed
me, and I didn't realize there *were* two paths - I thought the route
from Eugene was over McKenzie pass and the route from Corvallis and
Salem was over Santiam pass.  It turns out the main road from Eugene
goes over Santiam pass too (which is about 400' lower).  Guess I should
have made more trips to Bend over all the years I've been here ;-)