[Oeva-list] Think EV's in the news.

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Sun Aug 19 22:33:11 PDT 2012

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012, Rhonda Walton wrote:

> Can you say designed to fail?
> Sure you can.

If so, where were the factors which predisposed it to failure?

It had a huge financial boost from the state and federal governments.

They already had a "product" ready to sell. (No long R&D period to
weather while you get ready to sell product.)

It had suppliers ready to tool up to make batteries.

It had a ready work force, already trained in skills useful for the automotive
industry.

>From the local point of view, there is hardly an area with better recharging
infrastucture than Oregon. Oregon's relatively mild climate lends itself to
not requiring heat or AC for at least some of the year.

Our topography is "relatively" friendly to EV's.. Not as flat as Florida..
but not as hot, either!

The only thing banks are falling all over thesemves to lend money on
is cars.

We have some of the best recharging infrastucture in the US.. Some of it
still "free".

If, from this position, your market acceptance is so poor that an established
company with a "big tail wind" fails.. What is the hope for other companies?

> But EV's will succeed in spite of them because we will promote local jobs,
> 2 cents a mile, renewable energy, smart grid, luxury ride, no wars for the
> another countries natural resources, and so on.

(Local jobs? Nissan makes Leaf's in Japan.. Volt's in Mich.. Think's in
Scandanavia.. humm.. not my idea of local.. :-)

There are certainly other technologies which have many of the features you
mention.

Take for instance, compressed natural gas. It's locally produced. We have the
infrastructure to move the fuel. It avoids the conversion from fuel to
rotory motion, to electricity, to the transmission grid with all of it's
losses, to batteries, and finally back to rotory motion again. (It's the
same fuel that is becoming more common in electricity generation!)

Most cars can be converted to run on CNG. You can easily achieve 350 mile
range on one fill up.

Existing cars can be retrofit with CNG systems.

And, if similar investments in CNG fueling stations to those spent on
EV charging infrastructure are made, existing gas stations can be converted
to act as fueling points.

With Nissan throttling the production of Leafs due to lack of demand, I
think EV's are in for rough sledding.

If what was tried for Think is "designed to fail".. I'm not sure how to
succeed.

Steve