[Oeva-list] The wheels are finally turning on my truck

Gary Graunke gary at whitecape.org
Wed Aug 22 15:20:55 PDT 2012

Well, not exactly. This US Electricar S10 was built originally as an EV
using an S10 glider. Unfortunately, it had the infamous GM-Hughes motor
controller, which also served as a 3.3 KW charger. It was my first EV,
purchased on ebay.

I spent about 3 weeks tracing the motor controller circuits to try to have
some hope of fixing it. The main problem was that they put 400VDC on a four
layer PC board in the corner. They should have used a daughterboard to keep
the HV DC away from the low voltage circuits.

Paul has completely replaced the motor, motor controller, charger, and
batteries/BMS to make a new EV. But it was more of a second birth for this
EV, rather than death of an ICE.

Great job, Paul!

Gary