[Oeva-list] Upgrades for Zap Car (Kitting it up)
Datta, Sham M
sham.m.datta at intel.com
Thu Aug 23 12:06:53 PDT 2012
I have also upgraded my Zap as follows:
Upgrades done by me & my auto-mechanic:
* 84 volt system by adding another battery (gives me 42mph speed)
* Install 155 80R12 tires (the tallest that can fit my Zap Sedan) - This gives another 3 miles speed boost. Also improved the ride a bit.
* Air-ride Schocks - Makes the Zap ride way improved for my ever aching bad back. Before this upgrade I could feel every sewer cover plat on the road and being a 3 wheeler Zap hits every one of them - (Before Air-ride schocks I had become an expert in "snake like driving, where I could avoid manhole covers on all the Hillsboro roads) - Please see this: http://www.ridetech.com/store/shockwaves/
* Woodward suspension kits from Grantpass are NOT available any more.
* Installed variable front coil spring from "Zap second chance shop" http://xebraparts.com/index.php
* Installed Deka US made Gel batteries (140 AH - Needs metal work to be done on battery cage) but allows me 35 miles range.
Upgrades Planned for rest of this years:
* I am upgrading the "low 5HP Zap original motor" into 3 phase 12 HP AC motor with AC Curtis controller & regen breaking.
* Go to 100 volt Lithium-ion pack with a BMS.
* Replace the Zap Radio & speakers into some good music system that can really play CDs and MP3s etc...
* Instal a GOOD electric heater.
Email me, if you need any info on my upgrades Or connections to my auto-mechanic... or if you want see my Zap turned into a Lexus.
From: oeva-list-bounces at oeva.org [mailto:oeva-list-bounces at oeva.org] On Behalf Of cje at hevanet.com
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:48 AM
To: oeva-list at oeva.org
Subject: Re: [Oeva-list] Upgrade Zap
I upgraded mine about three years ago to 84v, it was pretty easy, feel free to stop by and take a look if you'd like, I'm in southeast, just get ahold of me any time. You need, like, a battery and some cables, and a place to stick the extra battery. Oh, and another charger, cause a 72v charger won't charge 84v worth a darn .. my guess is you'd just run down to Fishermans Supply and get a cheap 12v charger.
There's a guy in Grants Pass, Grants Pass Electric Vehicles if I recall correctly, who sells parts.
> Lisa Hi,
> I have been maintaining and running a 2006 ZAP for past 4
years> .... I do NOT know any local folks that can work on ZAP,,, I
ch> ance shop" (see the link below) to get parts and do all the work
> also have a mechanic in Hillsboro who helps me on the project.
> From: oeva-list-bounces at oeva.org<mailto:oeva-list-bounces at oeva.org> [mailto:oeva-list-bounces at oeva.org]<mailto:[mailto:oeva-list-bounces at oeva.org]>
Beh> alf Of Lisa Krenzler
> Sent: Monday, August 20, 2012 4:26 PM
> To: oeva-list at oeva.org<mailto:oeva-list at oeva.org>
> Subject: [Oeva-list] Upgrade Zap
> Hi OEVA Members,
> I bought a 2010 Zap and need to have it fixed up to be useful. Could
p> lease suggest people or businesses I could contact who do this kind
> Thank you,
> Lisa Krenzler
Oeva-list mailing list
Oeva-list at oeva.org<mailto:Oeva-list at oeva.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Oeva-list