[Oeva-list] Upgrades for Zap Car (Kitting it up)

Datta, Sham M sham.m.datta at intel.com
Thu Aug 23 12:06:53 PDT 2012

I have also upgraded my Zap as follows:

Upgrades done by me & my auto-mechanic:

*       84 volt system by adding another battery (gives me 42mph speed)
*       Install 155 80R12 tires (the tallest that can fit my Zap Sedan) - This gives another 3 miles speed boost. Also improved the ride a bit.
*       Air-ride Schocks - Makes the Zap ride way improved for my ever aching bad back. Before this upgrade  I could feel every sewer cover plat on the road and being a 3 wheeler Zap hits every one of them - (Before Air-ride schocks I had become an expert in "snake like driving, where I could avoid manhole covers on all the Hillsboro roads) - Please see this: http://www.ridetech.com/store/shockwaves/
*               Woodward suspension kits from Grantpass are NOT available any more.
*       Installed variable front coil spring from "Zap second chance shop" http://xebraparts.com/index.php
*       Installed Deka US made Gel batteries (140 AH - Needs metal work to be done on battery cage) but allows me 35 miles range.

Upgrades Planned for rest of this years:

*       I am upgrading the "low 5HP Zap original motor" into 3 phase 12 HP  AC motor with AC Curtis controller & regen breaking.
*       Go to 100 volt Lithium-ion pack with a BMS.
*       Replace the Zap Radio & speakers into some good music system that can really play CDs and MP3s etc...
*       Instal a GOOD electric heater.

Email me, if you need any info on my upgrades Or connections to my auto-mechanic... or if you want see my Zap turned into a Lexus.

Thanks,
Sham Datta.