[Oeva-list] Last "lead" run: my 29 sec car: Thanks Hillyer's Ford

Brad Laird brad.laird at raeev.com
Fri Aug 24 07:37:14 PDT 2012

Hillyers Mid-City Ford, Jay Hyer and OEVA,

I thought I would provide a fun update and also thank Hillyers Mid-City Ford
for their kindness and support:

Prior to upgrading from my current lead pack to lithium, I decided to get a
baseline time at Woodburn drag strip.  A few weeks back, I drove the Ranger
EV from Sherwood to Woodburn and charged at Hillyer's Mid-City Ford on their
30 AMP outlet in their service bay.  I ran two runs.  The EV averaged 29.8
seconds.   Then, I drove it home to Sherwood.  See my photo at the strip:
http://evbatteryblog.blogspot.com/.

I had the joy to be invited back last Sunday for the annual Hillyer's Ford
and Shelby Car show at Woodburn Dragstrip.  It was a wonderful experience.

This final time driving home, I had the courage to take the I-5 from
Woodburn.  I maintained 60 mph to the Wilsonville exit where I got off.  I
even passed a few trucks.   Go lead pack!   It's too bad the drag strip
wasn't a 1/3 of a mile:).   At 4960 pounds, the truck accumulated 1700 miles
since the conversion last year with only one failure in March (clutchless
transmission coupling).  Since, I have re-added the clutch.

I just wanted to thank Jay Hyer and the entire Mid-City Ford team for their
hospitality and support with the charging at their dealership.  I am also
excited to see the Ford Focus EV roll out soon.

This ranger EV will go back up on jack stands and drop a few pounds in the
next few months (1226 lbs. just in battery weight).  Performance should also
be improved with a much improved controller.  I hope to have it on the road
around the holidays.

I do have reduced parts for sale if anyone in the club is interested:
Curtis 1231 Controller, 24X 6V Full River AGM (140 charges; always regulated
cycles) and 12X Manzanita MK3 regulators (1700 miles on all the components).

Thanks again Jay and Hillyers Ford,

Brad