[Oeva-list] Think City EV

Karl Boekelheide Karl at boekelheide.com
Fri Aug 24 14:43:54 PDT 2012

**
Remember that not all DCQC's are created equal.  I just called AAA.  Their
truck will give you "10 miles" of charge.  What means, according to Rob
Porter at AAA, is 10 minutes of 600 volts at 25 amps.  I quizzed him hard
about the 600 volts but he says that's what it is.  I'm still dubious about
600 volts.  That seems way too high.

I've noticed that the Kanematsu, Eaton and AV all charge at different
rates.  The AV seems the fastest and the Kanematsu the slowest.  This
extends to the "taper off" times.  They all seem to start slowing down at
different levels of charge.  There seems to be a lack of standardization.
This seems really odd because I thought the car (in my case a LEAF)
controlled the rate of charge.

On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 07:57 -0700, matwete at comcast.net wrote:

For the city of Portland, this is a no-brainer for AAA.  I can't imagine
needing more than 1/2 hour of juice to  get to a station---but what if the
client has only a Chargepoint card and didn't bring a level 1 portable EVSE?