[Oeva-list] Think City EV

gfifield at onlinenw.com gfifield at onlinenw.com
Fri Aug 24 20:05:19 PDT 2012

For what it is worth, when I've used a few of the fixed DCQC-ers. They
quickly build up to 420+ Volts at 100 Amps. Then they throttle down from
there; dropping volts and amps.

If they kept up 400 V at 100 Amps for one hour that would be 40KWH.
So in 1/2 hour it would be 20KWH. More than enough to heat your batteries
and kick you off. Generally you don't go in empty and you get kicked off
at less than 100%. So lets say you have 4KW left in the pack and only
charge to 80% of the 24KWH, that would bring you up to 4/5 X  24KWH or
abut 20KWH or a delta of 16KWH.
At the rate of 40KWH/HR then 16/40 = 4/10 of an hour, or 24 minutes.

So if the AAA charger is only permitting 10 minutes then we could assume
that 8KWH is getting pumped into your batteries, unless the source isn't
giving the LEAF what it wants. 8KWH should be about 32 miles at a slow
speed in a LEAF.

There are two numbers quoted by your AAA, 600V and 25A.
If both are limited to those values, then one will drive the other down.
In the case of where the LEAF could take 420V @ 100A, and your source is
only capable of 25A then the voltage would have to drop down until the
draw was only 25Amp; maybe that is 390V or 360V. So you see that perhaps
the KWH delivery might be only say 8KWH in one hour, or in 10 minutes,
10/60 x 8HWH or 1 and 1/3 KWH, and that would be only about 5 miles of
slow driving in a LEAF.(I'm assuming about 4KWH/Mile when driving under
45mph)

Gene Fifield