[Oeva-list] Think City EV

Myles Twete matwete at comcast.net
Sat Aug 25 10:16:18 PDT 2012

Ironically, THINK demonstrated DC fast charging with an AeroVironment DCQC
and a THINK City in early 2010---well before a Nissan Leaf did so.

Unfortunately, despite THINK being one of the ChaDeMo companies and the
THINK City being listed in their 2010 Annual Report as one of the compatible
cars, THINK evidently never deployed this on the car despite the PCU SW
evidently anticipating it by having a "Quick Charge Enable" or similar
parameter.  There are no DCQC inlets at the PCU according to those who've
R&R'd one.  So I don't know how an aftermarket DCQC on a THINK could be done
cleanly---I'm sure it would require opening up the battery pack---and none
of us will do that while they are allegedly under warranty, so it's a
non-starter.  Since each of the 2 EnerDel packs are made up of a series of 8
battery modules (nom. 50v each), I'd expect that the BMS monitors the
temperature inside each, so I'd expect at least 16 temperatures are
monitored.  There are 3 different tools required to access and possibly
program the PCU, BMS and other systems on the THINK.  None of these are
currently available to Joe-EV'er.

-Myles