[Oeva-list] Where to get lithium batteries

Paul Wallace ianaudio at aracnet.com
Sat Aug 25 23:21:46 PDT 2012

Rob,
What type of charger do you have now?  It may be perfectly fine for a Li Ion upgrade if you are not going to increase your pack voltage.  You need to decide what type of balancing you want to do, active or passive.  Active happens during the charging cycle, Manzanita and many other balancers do it this way.  The passive types turn on the loads after turning off the charger.  The passive balancers dissipate much less power, but your cells need to start out reasonably well balanced.  The Elithion BMS works this way.  I think that you can get raw CALB cells from Don Blazer.  You need to work up a reasonably complete system design to understand how the BMS is going to control the charger and the speed controller so that you won't damage the cells with over charge or over discharge.  Are you going to add a current level 2 charging port?  If so, you will need to add a little logic, can be done with relays, to allow the BMS to turn off the charging station.

Paul Wallace