[Oeva-list] tax issues fair would be paying EV drivers

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Sun Jul 1 15:51:29 PDT 2012

Hello Steve

You say " I'm not sure I buy any of it! "

Well lets see if we can get you in the buying mood or maybe out of the
buying mood when it comes to oil.

Concerning our business buying 100 percent electric allocated from  wind.
This was not an offer made to residences but only to businesses a few  years
ago. From PGE's web site     _Clean  Wind_
(http://www.portlandgeneral.com/business/small/renewable_energy/clean_wind.aspx)  100 percent renewable power
from new wind.* Available in 200 kWh units (each unit represents about 12
percent of  your monthly usage**). An additional $3.50 per 200 kWh unit — you
can purchase as many units  as you wish.Clean wind came along after we  had
already been using an EV whenever possible at West Hills Collision  Center
so I liked the idea of cleaning up the grid. Just like EVs I support  wind
and I don't mind paying the difference to help make it happen. Really  our
electric bills here in the Northwest are very  inexpensive. Unfortunately I
don't think buying wind energy has  much advertising value for a small
business like us. Most people go about their  life without considering the
difference they could make in our  community. Wind is something I believe in
personally and its what I  would like to see more businesses endorse. I am also a
fan of solar and  geothermal energy but I would assume you would consider
them an advertising  ploy as well.

The grid is a shared energy provider and yes some of it is dirty. If  more
clean power comes on line the grid does becomes cleaner. Were also selling
all the power possible out of state, to the point that were grid locked. We
have an excess of electric here, which works out perfect for EVs. Since
were not able to move more electric out of state, why not encourage more EVs
here to take advantage of this?

You don't like how the money is allocated for wind.

Most are not aware of this but PGE can not just invest in energy projects
without showing they are being paid for. This all came about after  WPPSS
the Washington public power supply became know as Whoops  had.the largest
municipal bond default in U.S. history. They stopped building  several nuclear
power plants and unfinished project still cost billions in 1983  dollars.
Money lost that had to be repaid by the utility users.  PGE was  quickly
mandated after this from investing in new energy. PGE can not  simply invest in
wind without showing it has the money coming in to pay for it.  Based on this
I support the effort by PGE. Wind is producing clean  energy here, employing
people locally and these alone are a good  enough reason we should support
it.

I never stated were running out of oil but that will happen someday if you
only consider oil obtained through drilling or shale mining. You can make
oil,  so really we will never run out, if you don't mind paying 10 or 15
dollars a  gallon in today's dollars. As we keep using up the low hanging fruit,
oil  will continue to cost more and more.

You state below " the easiest way to aleviate the price pressure  is to
produce oil already identified in the US."

Well last year was the first year in 60 years we shipped more refined  fuel
out of the country then we imported. I don't know if we have hit peak oil
but our dollar is weak enough that if it won't sell for enough here it will
in  other countries. While I would agree it sounds like at face value
producing  more here would help us. It appears the oil companies don't see it
that way if they can sell somewhere else and make a profit. What makes  this
possible is oil being a high energy fuel that can be shipped in or out  of the
country. Shipping energy out of the country is far less likely  to happen
with electric. I would rather support our local  electric energy provider
then international oil companies that are not  based here.

" TheOldCars indicates that he believes that we should subsidize  the
drivers of EV's because of all the "good" that they are doing."

Steve there really is not enough EV's out there yet to make the impact they
 are capable of. I became convinced of the ability of EVs nine years ago
when I started driving 99% all electric miles. I have gone though several
battery chemistries and now battery technology has reached the point it is
cost  effective. Lead acid was far too low in energy density, a very short
cycle  and calendar life. While I have gone over 100,000 miles all electric in
the last  eight plus years I realize at this time its not for everyone. There
is at least  10% of the population that would exceed the daily miles
capable of an EV.  So an EV would only work for about 90% of the population.

"  I'm not sure that asking for a "road tax holiday" as some have proposed,

isn't a "bridge too far".  What's next free parking for EV's and an  EV
only lane on the freeway? Would this extend to fuel cell vehicles?
Compressed
air powered vehicles? Where do you stop? "

We have over 3 million ICE vehicles in the state of Oregon. I don't think a
 few thousand EVs here is enough to even be concerned about when it comes
to taxing them. Does it really make sense to start a tax that costs more
then it collects? Even to an ICE driver this should not make sense and in fact
 should make them wonder why. Also if you do the research a fuel cell
vehicle is not anywhere near as efficient as an EV. They are a very  wasteful
when it comes to the use of energy. We have a high occupancy lane  in Portland
I think EVs should be allowed to use it. Although I never go that
direction I came back one time and noticed there was not many cars using the  lane
during rush hour.

As far as the lack of EVs on the road. Its going to be this way  for
sometime going by the current demand for EVs. In the past we had  free EV parking
along with free charging in downtown Portland for  many years. I also
offered free charging and parking to all my employees. To my  disappointment no
one took me up on my offer. I am though happy local  drivers are find our
charging location useful. I actually tried to do this years  ago but ended up
just putting an RV box with 120 volt plug. There  was no approved plug for EVs
and a dryer type plug was not allowed  which was frustrating at the time
considering RV's were allowed to use  them.

Steve I seem to recall you had or tried an EV once in the past and were not
 happy with it? All I can tell you is once you get away from lead it is a
completely different vehicle. I was lucky enough that in 2005 I started
driving  with the NiMH chemistry which has almost four times the useable range
and many times the cycle and calendar life. The Ovonic modules I am  still
using now are 14 years old and have 60 miles of range. I just last week
loaded in my truck 1000 pounds of shop supplies. When doing this I admit I do
take it easy on the pack. However I don't see that as being a set back I
consider it a fun challenge.

Considering the developments in battery technology in a few years I expect
complaints like yours about range and capacity are going to be far less.
While were not there yet I strongly disagree with you we should not be
encouraging EVs as much as possible.

Sounds like you feel we should not subsidize EVs and you  also question the
good they are doing? I can tell you this is one good,  the ICE drivers are
so freak out about range, EVs need to be out  there to show they work. Fast
charging locations need to be installed to help  turn around many ICE
drivers false perceptions. You can talk to most EV  drivers today about local
driving and most will tell you it usually  don't require fast charging. However
fast charging certainly would  make an EV like the Leaf IMHO a very
desirable vehicle.

If you don't feel an EV is better for our country then  driving an ICE.
Maybe I am missing something but I don't understand why you  would be on this
list?

Sure there are always going to be disagreements about oil and the effect it
 has on the world we live in. Heck it was not that long ago there were
experts  who said you could not get cancer from smoking. Right or wrong there
will always  be two sides to every issue.

But if nothing else, consider how long an a new ICE will continue to be
dependant on oil. Twenty years is not out of reason and that  is another
generation that we expect to take care of our mess.  This  is about oil none of
us can afford to buy because our nation is broke. We print  up money that has
nothing behind it and expect other countries to accept  this for how long? I
t is arrogant that we feel we should be entitled to  continue this as long
as we like. There is no doubt at some point this  is going to cause us or
our children a lot of grief someday.  .

It is very arrogant on our part to expect the rest of the  world  to
endlessly accept our entitlement attitude. Would  we be fine with Mexico printing
up money and buying what they could  not afford from us. How long would we
continue to accept their money?  We however feel that we are different and
that we should be  entitled to continue this as long as we like. Many
countries like  Mexico have great number of people that are living in  terrible
conditions and starving. If you go on our current logic they  should just start
printing up money because we have the food they  need.

Our current standard of living will be a greater risk the longer this
continues. At some point our house of cards is going to come  down.

Personally it seems odd to defend EVs on an EV list.

I will now get off my soap box.

Don Blazer

In a message dated 6/28/2012 9:21:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,