[Oeva-list] Does anyone have technical docs for the EVI ICS-200B charging station?

Paul Wallace ianaudio at aracnet.com
Fri Jul 20 08:41:58 PDT 2012

I've got it figured out now.  The water and rust from the old conduit entry had damaged the little circuit board that is the tension sensor.  Here is how it works.  The two white standoffs attached to the plastic plate that the gland nut with the charging cable goes through, are positioned in front of a couple of photo reflective devices.  These little beauties have both an led and an NPN photo transistor.  The white standoffs reflect the LED back to the transistor, causing it to conduct.  In my case, the rusty water had eaten though at least one pin of one photo transistor and also a couple of traces on the board.  Once I had the board traced, I could see that shorting the black (GND) to the brown and grey (photo sensor outputs) wires would simulate the same condition as no strain on the cable.  The unit is now passing POST and I went ahead with the connector change.  Now I just need to test it with a real vehicle to make sure that it can actually communicate and source current.  I wish I had access to the EVI FICS unit so that I could re program it for 40 amps output.  That is one of the advantages of these older units, they will actually put out 9.6kw, as much as my charger can handle.  Currently, it is limited to 32amps.  I may eventually fix the strain limit device, but probably not, since my garage is not a public charging site.

Paul Wallace