[Oeva-list] Leafing to Mary's Peak

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Sat Jul 28 21:22:23 PDT 2012

Something I've been meaning to do for a while is drive the Leaf up to
the top of Mary's Peak.  For those not familiar with the Corvallis area,
Mary's Peak is the prominent coast range mountain that is an iconic
backdrop to Corvallis.  The parking lot at the top says 3770'.  My house
is at about 240' and about 24 miles away - a 50 mile round trip, which
shouldn't be a problem, especially with it all downhill on the way back,
but there's 12 miles of healthy climbing to do, so I wanted to prove it...

I started out down a bar, after doing about 9 miles of running around
town earlier today.  By the time I got to the turn off from Hwy 34 onto
Mary's Peak Road (at 1100', most of that gain in the last 3 miles), I
was down 4 bars, having gone a total of 22.5 miles (including the
errands).  Now came the fun part: 10 miles climbing 2600'!

I arrived down to 4 bars showing and "16 miles range remaining" (FWIW, I
*haven't* had the firmware update that changes the estimator).  After
taking a few pictures
(http://alan.batie.org/photos/nikon-l24/2012/0728-marys-peak/dscn0004-640.shtml),
came the *real* fun part: heading back home.

For the first time, I was able to regenerate a bar ;-)  Just before I
got to the bottom of Mary's Peak Road, it popped up, showing 5 bars of
charge.  With another 3 miles of healthy downhill, and slightly downhill
most of the rest of the way, I ended up back home still with 4 bars:
essentially the entire 24 mile trip home was free ;-)

I love electric cars ;-)