[Oeva-list] Fwd: Electric and economy ICE cars "Why so unappealing?"

Mark Murphy markmurphy1951 at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 11:27:01 PDT 2012

Car appearance is definitely a market strategy issue. There is no reason a small cheap car can't be (or isn't) attractive. Many small, handsome cars are out there,
as well as many butt ugly big/expensive cars. "personality" styling is designed to appeal to the buyer demographics not price.

EV's are way too expensive to make a large impact in auto sales, the hybrids have slowly grown well in market share especially now that there are reliable used Prius's
available now and have demonstrated their durability.  I personally think the Honda Insight is a more attractive car than the Prius, but both have a form-follows-function
design aesthetic that I appreciate. The Leaf does look "buggy" and the styling is awkward and toy like to me. The Volt is a handsome car IMHO but too expensive to
sell well compared to other vehicles in that price range.

The EV/Hybrid design issue has been between styling them to stand out vs making them blend in.

Design aesthetic (styling) continues to change, not always for the better....(I prefer the 90's/2000 era Audi's to their new style.... and the current blade and angle fashion
in automobiles is cartoonish and probably won't age well.....)

(I used to work for BMW Design) FWIW..

mark