[Oeva-list] Fwd: Electric and economy ICE cars "Why so unappealing?"

The Donovans r_donovans at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 13:48:12 PDT 2012

A couple more thoughts/opinions:

From a business standpoint, electric vehicles are in the introduction stage of a product life cycle. The primary people attracted to products in the introduction stage are early adopters and innovators. And, for the good and bad, not everyone are early adopters/innovators, especially considering the cost of the purchase. I believe there are many early adopters attracted to Leafs, iMEV, and Volts but there are also some as mentioned before that are not into the 4 door sedan, and not willing to fork out the money for a Tesla or other high-end car. When EVs finally reach the growth stage of the product life cycle, we'll see a broader range of EVs in the market, fueling more sales growth and wider public appeal. But until we reach that growth stage, we'll continue to see negative press and feel the need to justify our preference to people that simply cannot understand it. And that just goes with the territory. (And yes, EVs don't work for all early
 adopters too.)

From a conversion person, I'd also suggest that the choice does not have to be solely between a mass production gasoline car or EV. A converted electric vehicle today can be whatever a person wants. I've found a small market willing to sacrifice the benefits of a mass production car for the pleasure of driving something more personalized, customized, or specialized. Agree, a small market but a market none-the-less.

Richard Donovan

________________________________
 From: Mark Murphy <markmurphy1951 at aol.com>
To: oeva-list at oeva.org
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 11:27 AM
Subject: [Oeva-list] Fwd: Electric and economy ICE cars "Why so unappealing?"

Car appearance is definitely a market strategy issue. There is no reason a small cheap car can't be (or isn't) attractive. Many small, handsome cars are out there,
as well as many butt ugly big/expensive cars. "personality" styling is designed to appeal to the buyer demographics not price.

EV's are way too expensive to make a large impact in auto sales, the hybrids have slowly grown well in market share especially now that there are reliable used Prius's
available now and have demonstrated their durability.  I personally think the Honda Insight is a more attractive car than the Prius, but both have a form-follows-function
design aesthetic that I appreciate. The Leaf does look "buggy" and the styling is awkward and toy like to me. The Volt is a handsome car IMHO but too expensive to
sell well compared to other vehicles in that price range.

The EV/Hybrid design issue has been between styling them to stand out vs making them blend in.

Design aesthetic (styling) continues to change, not always for the better....(I prefer the 90's/2000 era Audi's to their new style.... and the current blade and angle fashion
in automobiles is cartoonish and probably won't age well.....)

(I used to work for BMW Design) FWIW..

mark