[Oeva-list] Think City

Myles Twete matwete at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 14:05:02 PDT 2012

Thanks Michael.

As for the radio, there's a manual for it in the THINK owner's pack.

As for the "L1 charger", it's not a charger, it's technically a "portable
charging station" or PCS.

It has no AC/DC conversion or power devices, it mainly does:

1)      An interface between J1772 plug to 120vAC three prong plug

2)      Generates and responds to signaling per J1772 requirements (much of
this is very very simple---e.g. detects the presence of being plugged into a
load (the built-in car charger) by the load presenting a 1.2kohm resistance
between 2 pins.  Once that's detected and there's no issues and the car
charger changes its resistance to the appropriate value, the PCS will then:

3)      Close its relay allowing charging to take place

4)      Displays status with its lights

It's too bad that this is only good for 120v.

Now, evidently some of us received the Leviton PCS units (an $800-900 item
per online search) and others (e.g. me) received the Clipper Creek PCS-15
units (a $700 item)
http://www.clippercreek.com/uploads/ClipperCreek%20PCS-15.pdf

They do have a Level 2 Portable unit (LCS-25) that retails for ~ $1000.
It's supposedly rated at close to 5kw.

http://www.clippercreek.com/uploads/ClipperCreek%20-%20LCS-25_v2.pdf

Since it would be worthwhile if Clipper Creek could offer us an upgrade deal
in exchange for our Level 1 portable units, I've sent them a note asking if
they would offer such an upgrade.

I don't suppose the chances are good that the PCS-15 can be modified to work
with 240v.most likely it would create smoke. L

-Myles Twete