[Oeva-list] paying for roads

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Mon Jun 11 19:58:57 PDT 2012

On 6/11/12 7:08 PM, Lawrence Winiarski wrote:

> I wish I was just being paranoid...you can read their actual plans here.
>  http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/RUFPP/rucpp.shtml

That plan has three options to choose from, only one of which is the
tracker.  People complained about the government tracking, now you're
complaining about corporate tracking.  The fact is that the current
system *is* on the way towards failure - the effects are already being
felt and a weight/mile system is the best way to fund the roads.  It's a
good thing that they're working on this now before our roads get even
worse - instead of paranoid ranting, we need to be encouraging it, while
making sure that the potential problems are avoided.

Key requirements I see are:

* option for monthly estimated payments, synced to reality when you
renew your registration
* gps option only charges miles in-state
* non-gps option allows for deducting miles out of state with light
proof requirements and heavy penalties for perjury
* money goes entirely to road maintenance fund