[Oeva-list] It's a taxing situation.

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Wed Jun 13 20:53:46 PDT 2012

I pay for a lot of things, that I don't think are a good value for
what I pay.

1) I pay school taxes. I have no children. From dealing with some
recent graduates at the drive thru window, I'm not sure we are getting
our monines worth.

For a while I believed that we needed to educate everyone so that they
would make wise choices at the ballot box. Recent events have proven
this not to be the case.

Listening to the rhetoric from the polititians we did elect, I'm not
sure education was any better when they were in school either! Clearly
they have no grasp of history; 1/2 of them keep repeating the same old
broken strategies over and over again and expecting a different result!

2) I pay road taxes. From the condition of the roads and bridges, I'm
quite sure I'm not getting my monies worth there, either. In addition,
they keep putting in expensive bike lanes and pedestrian crossings for
people who pay NOTHING for the use of the road. (Not only that, but
they insist on giving both of those groups the right of way.. and both
of those groups carelessly take that offer and end up getting run over
by vehicles who can't see them in the first place.)

3) We put folks in jail and don't expect them to earn their keep. There's
plenty of farm land, and a hoe and a shovel and a bag of seed is cheap.

Nothing about the tax system makes any sense.

Steve