[Oeva-list] tax issues fair would be paying EV drivers

Myles Twete matwete at comcast.net
Sat Jun 16 12:02:56 PDT 2012

Long wind appreciated Don!

It's so easy to simply accept that the direction that policy makers are
taking us is right based on their knowing the situation, their getting broad
input and their being smart people without agendas.  But there's a lot of
assumptions in that.

>From my personal experience now finally switching from a gas commuter to
pure electric, the change in consumption profile looks like this:

Item                                      Before                  After
%Chg                     Explanation

Fuel Consumed                100gal/mo           50gal/mo             -50%
40gal/mo heating oil plus car fuel

Electricity Consumed      578kwh/mo        908kwh/mo        +55%
330kwh/mo in EV energy

Solar Portion:                     139kwh/mo        139kwh/mo        0

Now, since going with 2.5kw of solar power 3 yrs ago or so, we dropped all
the Green, Healthy Habitat, etc. due to what appeared as an unfair taxation
of our use: 2 of the 3 programs simply billed us fixed $5 and $3/mo, then
both Portland and MultCo taxed this amount whether we used any power at all
from PGE that month!  So our energy profile has not been that green despite
going solar.  With the addition of the EV load on our electrical usage,
we'll be adding back the green programs since we'll be going from around 25%
local solar to only about 14% local solar and since our monthly net usage
will now not come to near zero in the summer months.

So, we're cutting our personal consumption of oil by 50%, which is good.
But unless we go greener on our electric usage, we're going to be paying PGE
for a power that has a good percentage that is from coal, natural gas or
other extractive non-renewable fuels.  Even if we don't switch to "clean"
source power, most or all of the non-renewable portions of our electrical
usage will still avoid coming from imported oil.  So in that sense, we've
significantly reduced (50%) our part of the national addiction to foreign
oil.  Better still, we should bike and ride mass transit as much as
possible.

Thanks again Don-

-Myles Twete, now commuting 50miles/day with a 2011 THINK