[Oeva-list] tax issues---what trucks actually pay...not so much

Karl Boekelheide OEVA at boekelheide.com
Sat Jun 16 09:05:28 PDT 2012

Unfortunately all this excellent rational discussion means nothing to politicians.  Facts don't matter.  Noise and numbers do.  Consider that many of the bridges in the state are being replaced because they were designed for a max load of 80,000 pounds.  The trucking industry convinced the state legislature than the limit needed to be raised to 105,000.  The fact that it would destroy bridges (and other parts of the roads) was not considered.

Until we can hire our own politicians and make lots of noise we will be labeled as freeloaders and no one will object.  Isn't democracy wonderful?  Every vote (I mean dollar) counts.