[Oeva-list] Has anyone tried a long trip with a Think City?

Joseph Lundgren joe.lundgren at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 07:45:40 PDT 2012

Greetings!

I have made the drive from Portland (Electric Avenue) to Albany in one go.
 The car made it to Albany, but only just barely.  I do not believe that
the Think would not have made it to Corvallis (another 14 miles from my
final destination).  Granted, this was on a Think that was not fully
charged (it was only charged to 99% SoC, not the 104% SoC that I now know
to be "full"), but that difference in SoC doesn't equal 14 miles of
driving.  Further, this was on a new Think (manufactured October, 2010)
that had been sitting for over a year back in Elkhart, so I can't vouch for
the state of the battery balance, cycle, etc...

My final trip mileage was 71 miles at 55-60 MPH.  After speaking with the
Think salesman (Hi, Steve!) and looking at the Think manual, I believe I
was at the very edge of the Think's capability at those speeds.  Here is
Think's marketing material regarding the expected range of the Think City
car: http://thinkev.leftbankcompanies.com/why-think-city/range/.

TL;DR:  No, I don't believe that the Think will make it from Portland to
Corvallis; at least, not at highway speeds.

--Joe