[Oeva-list] FW: Thanks For Charging With Blink!

Paul Wallace ianaudio at aracnet.com
Sat Sep 15 16:18:44 PDT 2012

I think the fee level is all about opportunity.  What it says to me is
that the on board chargers are too slow, not using all the capacity of
the charging station.  Nissan is going to fix the problem with the next
version when they start selling the car with a ~24 mph charger.  Maybe
Blink will change the minimum fee interval when most cars have a
charger that can max out the stations capacity.  That way, they can get
the maximum number of vehicles through the station.  Or maybe they will
put the fee on a scale that is proportional to your charging rate, but
that is really the same as time, which is easier for them to measure
and bill.

I've got the other problem.  My charger is too fast and the Blink
won't supply enough power to take advantage of its speed.  I've got a
switch on the dash to throttle back the PFC40 to 30amps input just so I
can use the Blinks.

Will Think City owners want an upgraded charger as well?  Who makes
the charger in the Think?  It would probably take some serious BMS
hacking to make this type of upgrade.  I can see that there is probably
quite an after market opportunity with the Thinks, depending on the
number of them that are finally sold in the PDX market.  Since the
final cost of the car is less than $9000, an upgrade to a 6.6kw level 2
charger and a DCFC option for around $6000 would probably be a bargain.

Paul