[Oeva-list] Long Distance in a LEAF

Brian Lockhart bdlockhart at flyglobalnow.com
Fri Apr 5 16:40:57 PDT 2013

After 25,000 miles of local commuting in my LEAF, I’ve decided to venture
out a bit farther and drive down to Davis, CA for a visit with my Pappy.  He
turns 95 this month and has been very interested in my LEAF ever since I got
it in June 2011 and I want him to experience it first hand behind the wheel
(he still drives).    I’ve received my charging cable back from EVSE Upgrade
and built up the adapters for NEMA 6, 10, and 14 series outlets, so I’m
pretty certain that I’ll be able to find electrons along I-5 in the barren
wilds of Northern California.  The plan is to drive as slowly as safety will
allow (a new experience for me) to maximize range and keep battery
temperature under control, fast charge to a maximum of 80% until Ashland,
and if temp allows, go for 100% for the start of the California leg.  I’m
taking some LEAF brochures to give to some of the interesting folks I’m
bound to meet at the RV parks and truck stops (“What kind o’ damn skateboard
is that yer drivin’ anyway?”).  It should be a fun experience to take two
days (hopefully) to make a drive that takes 8 ½ hours in the Prius; though
not fun enough to entice my spouse to go along.  Hats off to Oregon for
being way ahead of the Golden State on the implementation of the West Coast
Electric Highway!

Brian Lockhart

Vice President/Director of Maintenance

Global Aviation, Inc.

2250 NE 25th Avenue

Hillsboro, OR  97124

Bombardier Authorized Learjet, Challenger, & Global Express AOG/Line
Maintenance Facility

FAA Certified Repair Station # G73R732I

503-648-6403 Hangar

503-830-1954 Cell

503-648-2923 FAX

bdlockhart at flyglobalnow.com

P In the interests of the environment, please print only if necessary and
recycle